Overgrown Paths

Today, this perfect, brilliant, tender October day, I answered the call to the quiet and solitude. How many months have passed since I knew the beckoning and abandoned the lists and let the sweet invitation draw me to the shady stillness.

Because it has been so long, I had to push through the resistance. Summer's grasses had overgrown the path. Across the pond the new dog stood his ground with raucous indignation against the intruder in my own sacred space so long unvisited. Over my head sulked enormous black birds angling for what had become their trees, sending gusts of disapproval downward as they moved on. I felt the light fingers of an unfamiliar fear brush my senses as I made my way toward what had long been my most cherished holy place. I understood that in my absence, the sacredness was left untended and had grown thin.

So gripping my large stick with resolve, informing all barkers, whisperers, twig snappers, and flappers that I was not to be deterred, I pressed on to my piece of earth beside the dark pools and whispering waterfalls at the joining of the forest streams, cleared a fresh piece of earth, spread my dear blue and gold Kenyan cloth, settled myself between the murmuring waters with all the gentle beeches holding their faithful reverent vigil, and knew that I was Home. Home to the stillness where time cannot chatter, where other voices are hushed, where I could renew this shelter of mine in the shadow of the Almighty, in the refuge of His great wings, in the solemn and strong serenity of His tender ways.

Oh it has been too long. What patience, what longsuffering, in this Maker who yearns for our thoughts and our hearts. What treasure He has been holding close to whisper to my now quiet soul. He is ever present, ever faithful in the din and the press, but to come aside is to know that here is my heart's home, my abiding place, and His; here where the tiny brown wren flits soundlessly around me from one twig to another in wordless camaraderie, here I may come without gifts, without words, and simply rest in the oh so kind shadow of the Almighty. And here today I know and am known, and I am refreshed.

No comments:

Post a Comment