2012

Sitting just inside the door of 2012, I am--of all places on earth--back at the shire, in our Lindisfarne woodsy home. But no, not ours, this and all we may ever call our own is the Lord’s, the One who purchased my life, all I am and all I have. I am sitting near my beloved, on my dear perfect-fit three-legged stool carved from a Kenyan tree, next to my treasured old out-of-tune piano—these also belong to the Lord, a fire glowing in the fireplace behind me, the hundred holiday lights in their holiday branches shining like quiet stars in triplicate reflection in the windows around me, with the reverent strains of Rachmaninoff wrapping us in the sacred mystery of awe and wonder. Here in this doorway of time, I pause in the present to gaze back on all that has come to us from the gracious hand of our God in the especially wonderful year 2011. Here, just inside the door, the sharp sense that the sand is passing through the hourglass at accelerating speed fades and recedes, giving way to the sweetness of eternity, the presence of the everlasting God in Whom we abide. And in this hour I know how very, very rich we are in Him, that His gracious hand holds us near, and that in His nearness is all our good both now and forever. And from the deepest depths of my heart, I give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment